If you have Hepatitis C, it’s essential that you strengthen and support your liver. OK, that’s not exactly a newsflash, and you of course need to work closely with your physician to get the proper medical care, but renowned holistic nutritionist Sally Kravich, M.S., C.N.H.P., author of Vibrant Living: Creating Radiant Health and Longevity, has worked with many HCV positive clients and she’s offered this ‘tip list’ for a happier, healthier liver.
In addition to treatment, there are different things you can do to support the liver naturally,” says Kravich, “I’ve worked with many clients with Hepatitis B and C, and it’s essential to strengthen and support the liver no matter what.”
Here are a few ways Kravich says you can do just that:
* Don’t Forget to Juice! Fire up your juicer, or hit your nearest health food store or juice guru, and be sure to include goodies like celery, parsley, carrot, beets, spinach, broccoli any other dark greens you can include. “A juice a day will make for a happier liver,” says Kravich, “because its an instant extract, it goes directly to your organs. You almost immediately can feel yourself being stimulated, nourished and cleansed.”
* Add a Supplement: If someone is not taking medication, in addition to juicing and eating foods (soluble nutrients) that are high in Vitamin A, E and C, Kravich suggests taking a supplements that include B12 for strengthening the liver and providing energy along with Milk Thistle and Alpha Lipoic Acid, which are very cleansing for the liver. You can get your vitamin Vitamin A in a multi-vitamin (you need 10,000 mg maximum) or eat plenty of orange foods, like carrots and butternut squash. Another important supplement is grape seed extract, an antioxident which helps reduce inflammation.
* Add Berries! Dark berries such as goji, blueberry, pomegranate are very powerful anti-oxidants and help cleanse and support the liver.
* Probiotics: “A probiotic is essential if you’re taking lots of medication,” says Kravich, who suggests adding an organic yogurt or probiotic supplement to your daily diet.
* Drink Tea: Teas such as dandelion tea and milk thistle are wonderful for cleansing and supporting the liver.